As Halloween approaches, you may be wondering which candies are vegan-friendly for both yourself and trick-or-treaters. With more and more people adopting plant-based diets, it’s important to be aware of the variety of vegan candy options available. Fear not, this article will guide you through the sweet world of vegan Halloween candy, ensuring that no delicious treat goes unnoticed.
Navigating the candy aisle can be a bit of a challenge for vegans, as many popular candies contain animal-derived ingredients such as dairy, gelatin, and beeswax. But don’t let this spook you – there’s still a great selection of delectable vegan treats that can satisfy your Halloween cravings without compromising your ethics.
Common Non-Vegan Ingredients in Halloween Candy
As you search for vegan Halloween candy, it’s important to be aware of ingredients that might not be vegan-friendly. Let’s explore some common non-vegan ingredients found in popular Halloween candies.
- Gelatin: You might be surprised to find that gelatin, which is made from animal collagen, is often used in candies, especially gummies. This means that gummy bears, worms, and other chewy treats could be non-vegan. Keep an eye out for “agar” or “pectin” as vegan-friendly alternatives on the ingredient list.
- Butter and Milk: Many chocolate-based candies contain milk or milk-derived ingredients such as butter, cream, or whey. These are not suitable for vegans. Be sure to look for dark chocolate or chocolate labeled as “dairy-free” or “vegan” when seeking out chocolatey treats.
- Chocolate: It might surprise you, but not all chocolate is vegan. Some chocolate may contain milk or even traces of animal fat. If the trick-or-treat goodies include chocolate, make sure it’s labeled as vegan or made from at least 70% cocoa and without milk products.
Don’t be disheartened—there are still plenty of vegan-friendly options out there! Here are some examples:
- Yum Earth organic lollipops
- Justin’s dark chocolate peanut butter cups
- Unreal Vegan Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
- Nerds and Laffy Taffy
Best Vegan Halloween Candy Options
There are more and more vegan candy options out there. While we may have missed your favorite treat, here are the ones that we know of and like them:
- Sour Patch Kids: Sour Patch Kids are a great option for vegan Halloween candy. They don’t contain gelatin or any other animal-derived ingredients, so you can enjoy the sweet and sour flavors guilt-free.
- Skittles: Did you know Skittles are vegan-friendly? In 2010, they removed gelatin from their recipe. Now, you can happily “taste the rainbow” without any animal products involved.
- Lollipops: A classic vegan Halloween candy option is lollipops. Many varieties, like Dum Dums, are free of animal-derived ingredients, making them a simple and delightful choice for all trick-or-treaters.
- Smarties: Grab a roll of Smarties for a colorful vegan treat. These classic candies are free from any animal products, making them a smart choice for vegans and non-vegans alike.
- Twizzlers: Twizzlers are perfect for satisfying your chewy candy craving without any animal ingredients. You can twist and turn these vegan-friendly treats guilt-free.
- Airheads: Get your sugar fix with Airheads. These delicious, fruity taffy candies are vegan, so you can enjoy their bold flavors without worries.
- Cocomels: Cocomels is a unique vegan Halloween candy option, offering coconut milk caramels that are dairy-free and delicious. A perfect treat if you are looking for something less traditional but still tasty.
- Jolly Rancher: Indulge in Jolly Ranchers this Halloween for a long-lasting and colorful vegan candy option. Savor the fruity flavors as they slowly dissolve in your mouth.
- Red Vines: Red Vines can be your go-to vegan licorice choice. These chewy and satisfying treats are made without any animal products, so you can enjoy every delicious strand.
- Swedish Fish: Swedish Fish are yet another gummy-like candy suitable for vegans. Sink your teeth into these delightful little fish-shaped candies without worrying about any animal-derived ingredients.
- Dum Dums: You can never go wrong with these tiny, spherical lollipops. Dum Dums are vegan-friendly, offering a variety of flavors to keep your taste buds happy this Halloween.
- Charms Blow Pops: Get the best of both worlds with Charms Blow Pops. These lollipops have a bubble gum center, and best of all, they’re vegan.
- Chick-O-Stick: For a crunchy and peanut-buttery experience, try Chick-O-Stick candies. They are free of animal-derived ingredients and make an unusually tasty vegan Halloween treat.
- Dots: Dots are chewy, fruit-flavored gumdrops that vegans can enjoy. These small, colorful candies make a versatile and delicious addition to any vegan Halloween candy stash.
- Alter Eco: Looking for an eco-friendly and vegan chocolate option? Alter Eco offers a range of organic, ethically sourced chocolates that are perfect for Halloween indulgence.
- Pixy Stix: Sprinkle some vegan magic this Halloween with Pixy Stix. These sugary powder-filled straws are free from animal products, offering a fun and flavorful experience.
- Zotz: Give your taste buds an effervescent surprise with Zotz. These vegan, tangy, and fizzy candies are an excellent choice for a memorable Halloween treat.
Vegan Chocolate Options
For those who crave chocolate during Halloween, dark chocolate is an ideal vegan option. Made from cocoa butter, cocoa solids, and sugar, many dark chocolate varieties don’t include milk or dairy-derived ingredients that make them unsuitable for a vegan diet. When choosing dark chocolate, make sure to look for options with a high cocoa content and without milk ingredients. Some examples of vegan dark chocolate options include:
- Chocolove Dark Chocolate Almond & Sea Salt
- Chocolove Raspberries, Cherries & Almonds
- Chocolove Orange Peel
- Chocolove Strong Dark Chocolate
Unreal offers a range of vegan chocolate options that can satisfy your Halloween candy cravings. Their chocolates are made with ethically-sourced ingredients and come in a variety of fun, unique flavors. Some popular vegan Unreal chocolate treats include:
- Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
- Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Cups
- Dark Chocolate Crispy Quinoa Gems
For those with food allergies or dietary restrictions, Enjoy Life is a fantastic vegan chocolate option. Their chocolates are made without common allergens such as milk, eggs, soy, and nuts. In addition to being vegan, Enjoy Life chocolate is also free from gluten, making it an inclusive Halloween candy choice. Some vegan Enjoy Life chocolate products include:
- Dark Chocolate Morsels
- Ricemilk Chocolate Bars
- Ricemilk Crunch Chocolate Bars
By stocking up on these vegan chocolate treats, you can ensure that everyone in your household or at your Halloween event has a delicious chocolatey option to enjoy.
Dietary Considerations of Vegan Candy
When choosing Halloween candy for vegans, it’s important to consider dietary restrictions and preferences. After all, the goal is to provide an assortment of sweets that everyone can enjoy. Let’s explore some popular ingredients to be aware of when selecting vegan candy.
- Gluten: Some candies may contain gluten, which is a protein found in wheat, barley, and rye. If you’re aiming for vegan and gluten-free treats, be sure to check the labels for any hidden gluten sources.
- Soy: Soy is another common ingredient to watch out for in candies. Many vegan candies use soy lecithin as an emulsifier, which may pose a problem for those with soy allergies or avoiding soy for personal reasons. You can still find vegan candies without soy, just be mindful of the ingredients listed.
- Cane Sugar vs. Organic Cane Sugar: The sugar used in candies can sometimes be derived from animal products, which is not suitable for vegans. Organic cane sugar, on the other hand, is a safe alternative. Unlike regular cane sugar, organic cane sugar is not filtered using bone char, making it a more ethical choice for vegans.
- Carmine: Did you know that some candies might contain carmine, a red food coloring made from crushed insects? Definitely not vegan! To be on the safe side, opt for candies that use plant-based food coloring to keep everything 100% vegan-friendly.
When selecting Halloween candies for vegans, understanding these dietary considerations will make it easier to cater to various preferences and restrictions. So, go ahead and put together a delightful assortment of treats that everyone can enjoy!
Accidentally Vegan Candies
Have you ever wondered which Halloween candies might be accidentally vegan? You’ll be happy to learn there are plenty of options available that fit this bill. Accidentally vegan candies are those that do not intentionally feature vegan branding, yet they happen to contain no animal-derived ingredients.
One popular Halloween candy that’s accidentally vegan is Sour Patch Kids. Who knew these spooky and sour treats were free from animal products? It’s true! Go ahead and enjoy these sweet and sour chews without any guilt.
Another great choice is Airheads Taffy. They are full of fruity flavors and come in small bars, making them perfect for Halloween. Plus, they’re accidentally vegan.
But wait, there’s more! Brach’s Cinnamon Hard Candy is another accidentally vegan Halloween candy option. These spicy treats might surprise you with their vegan status, but you can enjoy them without any worries.
If you’re stocking up for trick-or-treaters or just looking for vegan-friendly Halloween treats for yourself, consider the options mentioned above. Additionally, you can look up even more accidentally vegan candies on lists provided by sources like PETA and Treehugger. Just remember to always check the label and ingredients to make sure the candy meets your vegan standards.
As the witches fly and the ghouls roam, you’re now equipped with the knowledge to make your Halloween vegan-friendly and oh-so-delightful!
No more getting spooked in the candy aisle, you’ve got a bag full of cruelty-free treats ready to be savored. Whether you’re indulging your sweet tooth or sharing with eager trick-or-treaters, remember that every vegan candy choice is a nod to a kinder world.